Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn srvrs talk and stations talk to srvrs but ..... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

paasch

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2001
US
I cant see past the servers from the stations on either side. I do a tracert and it goes to the gateway then to the vpn server on the other side and the rest are timeouts. any help is appreciated.

2 nics are installed but one is disabled.

Dough,

You disabled the second NIC
Which one is enabled now ? The external Nic ?
If so, you will have to enable the internet Nic as well, otherwise you won't be able to access your internal clients
also make sure your VPN server is routing (IP forwarding) otherwise the incoming traffic will not route through your server

On the clients side : do they all have the gateway set (-> internal NIC of the server) ? ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Thanks to Peter here's help I just got my VPN working smooth as a baby's botttom (untill the electrical storm last night) and in my travels I learned that you need both nic's enabled but the internal nic should not have a default gateway set! (this will force all you packets inward to go to your LAN and not back out to the internet before they make it to their destination(s) on the LAN)
The external NIC has to have a default gateway of either your router to the internet, if you have one, or the router (gateway) of your ISP.

Correct me if I am wrong Pete but that's how ours is working right now.

that is correct... never add a gateway address on the internal NIC of your VPN server ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back