Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borsin

Programmer
Oct 29, 2001
CA
Hello all,

I have setup VPN on our Win2k server, and everything works fine. Everyone can connect, and see each other. Everyone can map a network drive as well. The only problem, and it is not nice at all, is that it is extremely slow, to the point that is unbearable. The clients are running Win98. I have been reading through previous posts, and I think that others have had the same problems, but I did not see any solutions.

If anyone has come across a solution, I would be glad to hear what it is.

Thanks in advance.

If you are using PPTP, your connection is split up in two, one will handele the ordinary ppp connection the other will handle the encrypted tunnel, so if your are using thin clients they should pull down a lot of data before they will see an application. So install user software on the client, get a faster connection :). I had the same problem on a NT box, there you should renember to uncheck a checkmark in the RAS server enabling slow connection, that also applies to win2k
Henrik

What is slow about it? Browsing the network, receiving mail, can you be more specific?

Everything is slow, from opening folders/files, to uploading/downloading data. If you have an idea that would be great!

Borsin,

This worked for me... Try going into the TCP/IP Properties for your VPN connection on the client. Click the Advanced... button. Then uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network".

Not sure if this is available/in the same location with Win98 -- haven't used that OS in years (thankfully :) -- but there should be something similar, give it a shot.

--RHYNO

Are you assigning them WINS/DNS entries when they connect via dhcp?

I'm experiencing the same problem and I did find that unchecking the default gateway speeded up my access however it also prevents me from being seen as a VPN user when trying to do things on our local network. For example, our email server is configured for relay blocking and when connecting to it from outside of our network you can only send messages to other users within our network. With the default gateway checked I can send messages to users outside of our network but once it is unchecked I can not. Also, one of our primary reasons for wanting to use the VPN is so that we can shut off telnet access to our Alpha from outside of our network. When the default gateway is not checked my telnet session goes through my ISP rather than throught the VPN connection. When it is checked the response from the Alpha is painfully slow. If we can't resolve this we'll probably end up going with a VPN solution other than the Win2k which I would really prefer not to do. Any further insights would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back