Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN site to site questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedstar1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2001
US
Hi.

My company, fresh from a 5 day downtime on a leased line (Go Lightyear! You Suck!), is investigating a RAPID move to a VPN connection. As Network Admin for these guys, it falls to me to set it up. I understand the concept fine, and even a lot of the client side configurations, but I have some specific questions I'd love to have answered, if you folks could oblige.

We use Cisco routers for our current WAN connection, both of them Cisco 1602s. We also have a 1605R and a 1720 in our main office (where I am). The 1720 supports a VPN site to site connection at present, over ISDN on our side, a 56K centrix data line on their side. This VPN was set up by a vendor, prior to my cracking the router/CCNA egg.

What I want to know is this:
1.Can I use our Cisco 1602s to establish a VPN connection?
2.We have a DSL connection on my end, and we'll get a cable modem for their end, so bandwidth should improve dramatically. How much of a performance hit does VPN encryption incur?
3.Can these routers also support remote access connections, oh, say, like a network admin working from home? :)
4.If not, what do you recommend? What have you used with success? What has given you fits?

I need options ASAP. Management wants the VPN in three weeks, up and running, no excuses. I DO NOT want to hire a vendor for this. Pointers, help, everything is very much appreciated well in advance.

Boy could I use some help.
Nedstar1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back