Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Setup recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

torqed

Programmer
Oct 24, 2001
US
I connect to my office with a software VPN client (on my Win2K workstation) through my home LAN and DSL router to a netopia router at work. I have several machines on my home LAN. Everything works great. What I would like to do is allow my entire home LAN to be connected to the office network (thru VPN), yet still use my DSL connection (through the router) for Internet traffic.

I think it is referred to as split-tunneling? It looks like I could buy a Cisco 3002 for around $800 that can be configured to do this. Of course, I could also use one of my extra P90s to build a custom router running Linux. However, I'd rather not spend $800, and I'd rather not spend a lot of time setting up a custom solution. So, any other suggestions? Anyone got anything to say about the Cisco 3002? Love it? Hate it?

Thanks.

(btw, I realize the security risks of being connected to the Internet and the VPN server at the offic. Malicious user owns a box of mine, then uses it too... I just want some setup advice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back