Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN setup on win2k Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

morpheus000

Programmer
Aug 12, 2001
US
I am in the process of setting up a VPN on a win2k pro box. Here is a quick overview of what I have done and what problems I am experiencing.

Goal: Configure VPN on win2k box for small VPN with win98 clients. I have a Netgear rt314 router and a low end box running win2k pro which will act as a file server when the VPN is running. I am using a cable connection to the internet.

1) Configured the VPN connection on the win2k box as per Microsoft question 257333 This article gives step by step instructions on working through the connection wizard to allow incoming vpn connections. It appears to be VERY straight forward.

2) Configured the client win98 machine for a VPN connection. I found some documentation on DSLReports.com which outlined how to set this up. Also pretty straight forward.

3) Configured the router to pass port 1723 to my win2k box behind the firewall.

Current problem:

When trying to connect from the client machine, I receive the 678 Error - Server did not respond in enough time.

In order to reduce the points of error in the system, I pulled my router out of the network and tried to connect again with my win2k box directly connected to the cable modem. I still get a 678 error.

I can ping the win2k box from the win98 client just fine, so I know the internet connection is working. Any suggestions?

Some further developments...

I have 2 PC's behind my firewall. The first is the win2k box that I have setup the VPN on and the second is a win98 box. Just for the heck of it, I setup a VPN client on my win98 box (which is behind my firewall) and set the host address to 192.168.0.3 (this is the address of the VPN server). When I do this, I get a some different results. Instead of just timing out, the win98 box appears to be initiaiting a conection (the dialog box gets past the initial 'trying to connect screen'). This eventually fails with a different error message (can't remember the number) that a protocol could not be negotiated to establish a conection. So far I have tried taking the firewall out of the network and directly cabling to my win2k box. This didn't work (although I am going to try again this afternoon.. I may have been supplying the wrong IP to my CPN client configuration). The only thing that HAS been semi-successful is trying to connect with a win98 client already behind my firewall. And this eventually fails on the protocol error I mentioned above. Any suggestions at this point?

b

I am not familiar with setting up a W2K Pro machine to setup incoming connections; however, I did run into one problem concerning win98 VPNs vs. W2K VPNs. W2K uses PPTP and L2TP as their VPN tunneling protocols, while Win98 uses VTP tunneling protocol and it seems they cannot work together. W2K server Routing and Remote Access allows VTP incoming client connections.

Please post the URL to the Microsoft Question 257333. I cannot seem to find it and am curious to its information. Maybe I can help you out then.

SepMan76
Sorry it took me so long to reply to you. I was out of town and away from an internet connection for 2 weeks. I hope this thread isn't dead as a result.

Here is the link to the Microsoft article in question:

Any insight here would be appreciated. I have tried testing the VPN connection from my machine at work which is a win2k box and got the same results. So the problem doesn't seem to be specifically related to a win98 client.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back