Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN set up help needed, Lucent Brick 350 <-> Netgear FVS318

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2008
US
I'm a little bit new to setting up network to network VPNs so bare with me. I'm tasked with creating a VPN from our company to another, and i have most of it down except i'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding the info i'm getting for the other side's VPN.

They're saying the IP address for the end-tunnel is AAA.BB.CCC.130. and the subnet behind the tunnel is AAA.BB.CCC.128/26. (For purposes of security and privacy the IPs have been changed to letters.) Pretty much AAA=AAA, BB=BB, and CCC=CCC (but in numeric form for the real deal). Is that even possible to have the end tunnel IP within the subnet? Or is it just a coincidence? Also i've tried to ping AAA.BB.CCC.130 but got nothing back. I realize that some VPNs are either unpingable or they have it disabled.

Also does anyone know if these 2 VPNs are interoperable? I've searched about everywhere and found a different model of the FVS318 to be compatable with Lucent. But I would like to know for sure.

Reason i'm checking is because I received parameters for the Lucent, that my Netgear doesn't seem to have.

(From Lucent):
ISAKMP DH Group
ISAKMP Encryption Type
ISAKMP Authorization Type
ISAKMP Lifetime
IPSEC Protocol
IPSEC Encryption Type
IPSEC Authorization Type
IPSEC SA Lifetime (sec)
IPSEC SA Lifetime (Kbytes)

(From Netgear - In Aggressive Mode Secure Association):
Perfect Forward Security
Encryption Protocol
Key Group
Key Life (seconds)
IKE Key Life (seconds)

As you can see some of the fields are obvious matches, yet there are alot more parameters given than I can input. Are these other fields just extraneous information or vital to the connection?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back