Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN router recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

exsmogger

Vendor
Oct 23, 2002
US
We want to setup a VPN onsite in order to make use of the VOIP capabilities of our phone system. Our current setup is a T1 circuit going into a Cisco IAD-2421 router, that breaks out 7 lines to our phone system and an ethernet connection that feeds Internet to our network hub.

It looks like any VPN hardware I buy will be placed between our Cisco router and the network hub. Is that assumption correct?

Which Linksys products would be usable for our current setup? Thanks.

Brian Cox

Brian-

Sounds like you have a fractional T for voice and date. I would stay away from Linksys products for VPN setups. At the least, I would recommend a Sonicwall TZ170. And yes, it would sit between you managed Cisco device and your switch. ( You said hub, I am interpreting that as a switch... difference is that a switch routes traffic by port and a hub repeats all traffic identically on all ports.) You will need to verify with you provider that the managed Cisco device is passing through all traffic or you will need to work with them to open IKE and other VPN required ports. Also, with alot of voice/data split T's... you get a block of ip addresses for data use. Make sure you are using the right IP out of that block.

Chris Clancy, EnCE,CCE

Chris,

I ended up buying a Linksys RV082 8-port VPN router a couple of weeks ago and it has worked well so far. I can connect quickly to the VPN and am able to use an IP phone off our phone system. I did have to forward port 1723 from the Cisco router to the Linksys to get the VPN working, but so far so good. Thanks for your reply.

Brian Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back