Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Route Server to Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketgeek

Programmer
Sep 23, 2006
US
I'd like to take a sliver of bandwidth at work, where I have static IPs, and do the following:

-have one of the static IPs route to my remote mailhost
-do the connection to the remote mailhost via a VPN (IPsec pref.)
-make this connection bidirectional, so that outbound mail comes from the static IP

I figure it won't take much bandwidth to handle the port 25 traffic.

I don't want to run the mailhost at work, and my home broadband is a DHCP connection, without a static IP. So by making the connection through one of the static IPs at work, I have a place to point the MX records to.

Has anyone done this, and can someone share how they accomplished it?

It will be much easier to use a service like DynDNS to associate a hostname with your dynamic IP. It changes every time that your DHCP acquired address changes. I haven't seen a SOHO or home router that didn't support these services in years. They have the ability to specify a non-standard port for the service as well, so if your ISP blocks port 25 inbound (many do) you can put the SMTP on 26. Since you are doing port forwarding on the router, it can be redirected to the standard 25 on your internal network.

pansophic

If one has a dynamic IP, and sends SMTP out, many mailhosts will reject mail from dynamic IPs, or when the reverse dns lookup fails. Hence the reason for wanting to make it work with a static IP.

Some ISPs also frequently change their dynamic leases. For example sattelite based broadband services.

I'm thinking that this should be readily solvable with a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back