Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN REMOTE IP PHONE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmktech

Vendor
Jan 15, 2003
US
Will the ip remote phone work with a dynamic ip??

Assumming i have 1 license and a netgear fvs338 vpn router??

Thanks

Ron K.

i have some set up with dynamic DNS. i use dyndns.org and it is free. i have not had issues other than once in a while having to reboot the phone to pick up the new dns.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Have set up 3 different ones with the netgear 338... no problems. I just set up my demo with a tz170 it works like a charm. I use the Virtual IP 172.16.22.5 for the avaya docs. no issues.

How and why do you use dynamic DNS?

My internet at home is dynamic so the IP changes sometimes. with dynamic DNS you are connecting to a name that is auto updated when your IP changes. I have a site to site tunnel using this as well and works great.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

thats cool... I have 5 static IP's here at home. I alway thought that you need to have a static in the main location for any type of VPN to work.

So with dynamic DNS it can work with out the static IP's in both locations? Or just the remote?

I am just doing it with the remote but i am pretty sure you could do it both ways. I run a little DNS application on my server here that checks and updates the DNS site with my IP address. any time the IP changes the site points my name to the right IP and everything comes back up.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back