Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetac

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2006
US
Hello, I am working with a customer to setup a VPN solution to connect 2 branch offices to a main office. I have had great success with Barracuda appliances in the past but am looking for some input on what others have used/recommend. They have an Allworx phone system and there will be 5-10 extensions at each branch office (no more than 3-4 in use at a time) and I would also like to run that traffic over the VPN link also, as the system is at the main branch. They currently have a T1 at the main branch to handle the phone system alone and 50mbps down/10mbps up broadband for everything else at the main branch. They have not ordered Internet service at the branch offices so that is also a consideration in this solution. Any tips/experiences would be GREATLY appreciated!

Feature set and advice I think you need for IPSEC VPN routers
VLAN Priority so your voice traffic gets priority over data You need separate subnets at each location. Choose 'odd' subnets so you can have workers from home. 192.168.1.x is in about 90% of home routers, so use 192.168.200.x as an example
You will get the Upload speeds on your VPN, so do not skimp on Upload speeds at the branches, and especially the Hub.
You will want static IP addresses from your ISP to simplify the VPN setup.

Here is an old post of mine with some commentary by others

Besides the RV042, I now have another client using Sonicwall 2400 NSA routers

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

Good VPN routers for HQ:

Juniper SSG5
DrayTek 3300
Watchguard X-Series

Good routers for satellite offices

DrayTek 2830/2930
Billion 7560 or similar

Good for QoS and VoIP for satellite if you are going to try and eliminate inter-office call costs.

The DrayTek IPBX range are good also.

FTTC would do the job at the satellite offices with a DrayTek Vigor 2830 which would give you two VoIP ports or you could investigate using remote handsets over IP for the phone system if it supports them.

sircles.net Support - find us at:
Henley-on-Thames Computer Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back