Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
I have ZoneAlarm firewall at home and must disable it to connect via Win2k VPN to work. Is there a way to keep ZoneAlarm up and still VPN to work? Is there a better firewall program that would allow me to tunnel through with VPN? How about if I use a linux based firewall machine?
Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

How are you connecting at home? Cable or DSL connection? I am using Cable and recently purchased a Router RT314 from NetGear. Now they say it supports pass through PPTP, although I have not tested it yet. In the near future I am going to be setting up a dial-up VPN to my router and purchased this product for that specific use. Out of the box it has some pretty good security and allows you to add to them if you so desire.
david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

I use dial-up.

BTW, I like you quote! Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

Sorry I would not be much help on this.....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Have you tried including the IP of your work computer in the local/trusted zone of your Zone Alarm settings and turn the local security down to low?

Sometimes that will work. Let me know.

Niall

No I havn't thanks...I will try that. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

...oops...sorry...I forgot. I can't even try to connect. It won't get that far. I will try to play with the settings though. Maybe I can get it to work yet. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

It won't get that far because your Zone Alarm Internet security is set too high more than likely. That's why you have to include the IP of your work computer in the local security and set it to low. Are you at home or work? I'm not sure what you meant by "I can't even try to connect. It won't get that far."

Niall

I just found this in their FAQs:

I will have to try this... Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back