Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyc209

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2004
GB
We have a VPN connection between two offices using Draytek Vigor 2830n boxes. Over the last few days the connection has been really slow for users accessing shared folders/files and using remote desktop. We have checked the connections with pings etc and spoken to the line providers and everything seems fine. The routers are not showing any huge activity on them to slow things down. Strangely though, if we use our individual dial-in VPN connections to a remote office (like if we are at home) the connection is fine. We are at a loss as to where to look as there is simply no evidence as to why the 'always on' connection has suddenly slowed right down,

can anyone help point me what to look for?

cheers

You have actually run pathping or it's equal, from both ends of the connection looking for packet losses?
Have you run TCP Optimiser or equal?
I assume you have restarted the end point routers involved. A restarted of the endpoint machines would be nice, if possible.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Has this been resolved?

If not, I'd try rebooting both routers first. Then I'd check for any changes in packet loss or latency on each end's Internet connection. Then I'd check the route between the two routers for any changes in packet loss or latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back