Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN port forwarding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricio2626

Technical User
Feb 5, 2008
US
Hi all, I have an Actiontec GT724R DSL router/firewall, and I'm having trouble establishing a VPN connection through it. I can establish one inside of our network, but not from the outside. I have PPTP forwarding set to xxx.xxx.xxx.250 (our server), and the firewall is set to off, but I get: 'Error 800 Unable to establish the VPN connection' when I try to establish a VPN to the public IP address (WAN side) of our router (we have a static IP address). I also have RDP (TCP port 3389) forwarded to the server, but the same thing happens when I try to access externally (it works inside the network). This firewall/router is advertised as a VPN firewall/router, so it should forward the VPN/Remote Desktop requests to the server when I attempt to connect to it's WAN-side IP address from the outside, right? I'm just stumped here, and would greatly appreciate any pointers/help. Thanks in advance!

-Patrick

Don't know your device specifically, but for VPN to work you need udp 50 and 500 open. You'll need to see if your firewall supports ipsec pass-through. I wish I knew your device better..so good luck.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back