Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipher7836

Technical User
Dec 20, 2010
US
Hi all, back a few years ago I worked at a company that deployed FreePBX systems. I remember that users never had a complaint about the IP phones. Call quality was good, and calls rarely, if ever, dropped. Fast forward to the present day, and I work IT at a company that's all Avaya. The IP phones Avaya calls VPN phones. I figured these VPN phones would be much better than the Cisco IP Phones we used with FreePBX.

So when our remote users say that their calls drop often I'm confused. In fact, their calls have dropped so many times that most of the remote users at our company don't use them. So I was wondering if there was a better alternative. Could we use a FreePBX system just to use IP Phones, and have them connect to the Avaya system? Or is this as good as it gets?

Also what type of connection are the vpn's connecting over. T1/DSL/Cable some will work better than others. And what type of link is at the head end? Are your VPN phones on the same line as your internet connection?

VPN phones rely on there connection to the IPOffice.
If it is a bad connection then even a golden phone won't work.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back