Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Outlook2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don79

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
Hi Guys,

I am connecting to my network from a remote laptop through VPN access. When I open Outlook 2000 on the Client XP machine, I go to tools --> services --> add exchange server. When I type in the IP address of the exchange server, and a mailbox name, everything is ok. The name of the e-mail server comes up, and "check name" works. However, when I hit ok and exit the screen, outlook comes up with an error message saying "exchange server not available". I am able to ping the exchange server from the remote machine and browse for it remotely as well. The firewall company, Watchguard, told me that I have to troubleshoot my outlook configuration or something. Outlook is installed in corporate/workgroup mode. Any ideas?

Did you add entries into the host and lmhosts files for the exchange box? Helps with the name resolution.

How do you do that? By the way, I tried this with a dial-up connection. I heard exchange does not like dial-up. I will try cable soon.

On your PC, search for hosts. Open the hosts file with notepad and add this entry into the file:

10.10.10.10 mailserver

The IP address that's entered should be the IP of the mail server and put the name of the mail server in place of the above entry. Save this file as "hosts". Placing the quotes around the file name will save it without an extension (which is what you want).

Open the lmhosts file and place this entry into it:

10.10.10.10 mailserver #PRE #DOM:YOURDOMAIN

Again, modify the entry for your environment and save it as "lmhosts".

I have to do this for my VPN clients to work correctly.

Regards,

mapman04

Hi Mapman,

Thanks for responding. However, I am a little confused. I just did a search for hosts on my PC and came up with the following files:

HOSTS
LMHOSTS.SAM

So you are saying, I should edit HOSTS and type in

10.10.10.10 mailserver

Then save this as "hosts" ? Therefore, I will now have 2 files, HOSTS and "hosts" ??

Then I open up the LMOSTS.SAM file and add the following:
10.10.10.10 mailserver #PRE #DOM:YOURDOMAIN

Save this as lmhosts. Therefore, I will now have 2 files, LMHOSTS.SAM and "lmhosts" ??

Please advise. Thanks!

Yes, the PC will only recognize the lmhosts file. The lmhosts.sam is a sample file (I think). Also, have you changed the timeout setting within Outlook? I think it defaults to 30 seconds. Change it to 60 or 90.

I am having a similar problem. How do I change the Timeout Setting within Outlook.

Here is my scenario...
1 Dialup to internet.
2 Open Outlook.
3 Check for new mail.

At this point, the VPN client asked for name and password and authenticates. But if I am not rocket fast, Outlook will timeout and say it cannot get my mail because it could not connect. I can then hit 'send and receive' again, but i would rath have outlook just slow down and chill for a minute while i authnticate.

I will probably try this tomorrow night, and let you guys know what happens.

This is for Outlook 2000. On the File menu, select Tools and then Services. A dialog box should appear. Highlight the Microsoft Exchange Server entry and click on the Properties button. On the General Tab there's a box at the bottom left. Change the number to 60 or however long you want it to be. Click OK and you're done. I think you have to close Outlook and re-open it for it to take effect.

Regards,

mapman04

Clarification:
I am using POP3. The Exchange was way too slow over the dialup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back