Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN on W2K Server with a USB ADSL Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

da644

Programmer
May 21, 2001
GB
Hi Everyone.

We have a Windows 2000 Server that has 512kbps ADSL internet connection via a USB ADSL Modem. We would like to VPN to allow are remote works to use the network. I've tried following guides on how to setup the VPN in W2k but the ADSL Internet connection is never shown on the list when it comes to select the network device, it only shows the internal lan card. Does anyone know how to set up VPN on such a setup?

Best Regards

Andrew.

Ok, first question for you, are you getting static or dynamic IPs from your ADSL connection. I suspect (And someone correct me if I'm wrong) but you'd want at least a static on your server, to enable a point of reference for your VPN.

And if you're serious about it, I'd update to a router for the ADSL connection, ie cisco 827 (RAM upgrade - 32) with IP/IPSec/FW/3Des IOS 12.2.8T and let it deal with your VPN connections.

And to get around the usb-ethernet issue, I'd toss in a NIC in the server and run your connection from that. A $25 NIC would suit as your ADSL connection will be under 10MBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back