Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN (Nortel 4.6 Client) Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
Hello,

Info: Running Windows XP Pro, Nortell 4.6 Client for Company VPN accounts.

I have two questions and ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

1) My company gives out a VPN software that users can connnect remotely outside of work. It is pre-configured and uses the Nortel 4.6 client. The problem is, that I can connect to the VPN network without any problems (connection says accepted). However, I cannot use telnet, ftp, etc. functions to do any work to check stuff on the work network. If I try to connect to a remoete work node, it will just say "timeout on port 23" or something to that effect. Any solutions?

2) After I install the VPN software (Nortel 4.6 client), Windows XP Pro now takes about 90 seconds AFTER booting up before I have a normal connection with my ISP (cable modem). If I uninstall the VPN software, I get instant access to the internet when windows starts. Again, repeated. It seems like for some reason Windows seems to be trying to make the connection using the VPN software and after 90 secs of no luck (timesout?) it reverts to my normal internet connection which will always work fine. Is there a way to either make my normal internet connection come first and/or not even try to make the network connection to the VPN network (since it shouldn't anyways). I am not a network genius, so please bare with me, any help, of course is greatly appreciated.

OK, after a shot in the dark I have fixed both problems. Here is what I did if anyone else has this problem and can try this:

NOTE: Make sure the Nortel VPN Client software has already been uninstalled before continuing.

1) Open regedit
2) Do a "find" -> serach for "Nortel IPSECSHM"
3) Enter (to start searching)
4) Any instance delete it. I ran across a couple of instances in which I was not able to delete the folder, but this did not seem to cause a problem later on so they were left (it found two folders that I could not delete)
5) After all instances deleted, goto control panel->system->device manager (hardware settings)
6) Look under "Network" and uninstall the "Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter" -> if Windows says you cannot uninstall it (Which I was getting EVERY time I tried to uninstall it before attempting steps (1)-(4) above), then go back and do steps 1-4 again. Eventually windows will let you uninstall it.
7) Reboot - install Nortel Clients 4.6 version again.

Note: After installation I got an error message that said the RCP protocol was not responding and the system had to shut down - this was fine since the installation was already done.

8) I re-booted and everything worked perfectly, including the removal of the 90 second delay - I am definately not an networks expert but there is nothing wrong with trial and error when you cannot find any other solutions.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back