Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN network access on Windows 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcowie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2005
US
I work at a public school and am trying to setup VPN access for staff members. I have successfully setup the VPN connection and can access the server which is running Remote Access Services, but I'm needing to access other servers on the local network once connected and currently cannot see them. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

the GW IP address should be the client's IP assigned by the VPN server's internet interface. You can only determine the IP address of the VPN client's virtual interface when the client is connected by 2x clicking the VPN connection object when the connection is active. In the statuse dialog box, click details.

When you say you can't "see" them, do you mean in network neighbourhood, DNS name, etc? I have had a lot of issues with getting DNS to work over a VPN correctly and usually resort to connecting via IP only, as it is usually a hell of a lot easier.

Dylan, DNS does not work with VPN. You can access computers only through IP addresses.

Having said that, I believe you could use WINS server to resolve names instead.

Thanks for the replies, yes I just ended up using ips instead of trying to figure out the DNS and it's working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back