Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Mac and Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

imeldesign

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2004
US
Not sure what I need to do this:
After being laid off by my company two months ago due to cutbacks I have been hired back as a consultant to handle desktop support. It is a windows 2003 network with half macs and half pcs.
Right now I can remote in to a terminal server and manage all the pcs and servers from there. I need to be able to manage the macs from home as well. I have set up a VPN connection from my house to the Sonicwall TZ170 using vpntracker
I am not sure where to go from there. I have tried seeing the macs using ARD and Chicken of the VNC inside the VPNTracker program. Neither sees the macs I have enabled remote desktop on.
I do have the option of installing a VNC server program on one of the servers if necessary. Trying to figure out the best way to do this.
Thanks in advance.

Obvious question first, can you remotely manage the Macs from on the LAN using the same software (preferably the same computer)?

Is the firewall enabled on the Macs? If so, is the firewall configured to allow remote control? From an outside host (or the subnet associated with your VPN anyway)?

Can you remote into a Windows machine on your network, then launch a remote session into the Macs as a workaround?

Have you considered a service like LogMeIn?

pansophic

Ended up using VPNTracker to VPN into the Sonicwall and can run Apple Remote Desktop for access to Macs. Placed an ARD update installer and an setup installer on the public drive . Mac users installed them as directed. For desktop pcs I installed VNC and can remote into the Terminal server and manage them all from there or via VPN. The remainder are thin clients which I can manage either via vpn or TS.
Thanks for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back