Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN - Linksys - Domain browse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKmike

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
First, please forgive me if I am not up to the level of the more experienced. I learn fast, give me a chance :)

I have a linksys befsx41 DSL router, and need to use the VPN I set up for a remote sales office. I have the VPN up and running with SSH sentinel. I can log in to the VPN, map drives by IP, and ping all resources(by IP). I guess you could say this works, but here is my problem.

I would like to be able to browse the domain from the VPN. I have read a few ways to do this here, but none that I think I can use with this situation. The remote location is a dial up, so the machine must be logged in locally first to get to the net with the dial up. It is a stand alone 2K pro machine (no server/no domain controller). I guess what I am asking is this. How can I log into the domain when I must first log into the machine locally to get to the Internet so I can light the VPN? I am sure I am missing something, and there MUST be a way to do this. I have read about WINS, DNS, ect, but until I can get the VPN going I can't that this would help.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

I don't think that will work without bringing the machine in and joining it to the Domain. A work-around though...
Try this, join the remote machine to a workgroup with the same name as your domain, log in with an account that exists in your Domain with the same username and password. I know this works with 9x to "fool" the DC, try it and see...

Thanks,

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back