Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN issues with Linksys equpiment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTFOOL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2006
US
Hi all
Funny situation with my home network. I have a Dell desktop running windows XP home. Home network is a DSL connection, wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G. The adaptor in the Dell is a Linksys as well (WMP54G). When I go to run the vpn client (Cisco) for my work network I connect to my server and authenticate fine but I can't access anything through RDP or a web browser. I can ping/tracert all the server addresses thru DOS fine but try to remote desktop into any server results in an error that the remote computer could not be reached.

I assumed this was an issue with my router and had spent considerable time googling the various solutions but could never get the connection to work. Last night I brought home a work laptop with an Intel wireless card and it jumped onto my netwrok and out the company vpn thru my router no problem...I could rdp to any server I wanted with very fast results. So my questions is whats up ?? Why can the laptop do it and not the desktop ?

The only differences in the machines are the laptop runs win2k and uses an Intel wireless card, the desktop runs XP home and uses a Linksys wireless card. Can anyone see anything wrong or why I can't connect. I am more schooled in networking with win2k but XP should have no troubles connecting imo, is it safe to assume the routers fine and it is an issue with the Linksys Adaptor on my desktop ? (Thats the route I have taken so far).

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions

Ya that would eliminate the desktop PC as having any issues if I can connect thru a wired connection, I was avoiding trying to locate 100 feet of Cat 5 but will try that this weekend.
I am of the opinion the advanced settings on the wireless adaptor needs tweaking but have found no info on the Net to confirm this and was hoping one of the knowledgable members of this community had already fought this fight.

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my issue tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back