Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN ISSUE, HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1rage5

MIS
Jun 16, 2003
US
We have a win2k AD server and installed VPN on the system with Two NIC's installed one for the Internal LAN and one for the VPN, After installing RRA the system can not browse the Internet or local network and nslookup does not show the DNS servers they just time out while trying to connect.
I also edited the IP Routing General Tab edited the VPN connection, Input and Output filters and added ICMP on both.

I can ping my DNS servers Public IP addresses and its private LAN IP and the rest of the LAN's IP'S.

Also when making the VPN from the client side I can't use the Internet or logon scripts, it connects to the domain (I Think) it does not error out that it can't find the domain, Yes If I turn off the use default gateway the clients can browse the Internet, but thats not what Iam wanting to get done here. Would like to at least have a little control over sites accessed.

I also have TS running on this system that was accessable until now.

Yes I have two DNS servers running with statics and local lan ips also.

host name : is my domain
primary DNS : is my domain
node type : Hybrid
IP routing : yes
Wins enabled: No
dns suffix : is my domain

ethernet adapters

Local Lan NIC

DHCP enabled : NO
IP address : 10.33.15.30
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
default gateway :
(it should be 10.33.15.1 as that is what is setup on the NIC and is there when I disable RRA.
DNS Server : 66.XX.XX.244
: 66.XX.XX.245

VPN NIC

IP address : 10.33.15.11
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : 10.33.15.1
DNS Servers : 66.XX.XX.244
: 66.XX.XX.245

ppp adapter ras server (Dial in) Interface

Connectr-specific DNS Suffix :
description : Wan (PPP/SLIP)interface
IP Address : 10.33.15.220
subnet : 255.255.255.255
gateway :
DNS :

I use a set of 11 local lan statics for the vpn connections.

May I ask, why you have two NIC in same subnet?

When you route, you usually have two nic's sitting on different subnet.

Also, what type of device is at 10.33.15.1?

for security I have all VPN traffic going through the second NIC, I could pot it on a different subnet, but would that make a differance with this issue?

The 10.33.15.1 is a link sys router that has one static and support for the LAN network.

Now If I change the RRA to a RAS server and VPN that way everything works fine, still looking at logon scripts for VPN Ras connections, I havnt set up a ras server in a long time NT4 a few years ago and this is win2k, So i am looking through the forums to see what I can and can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back