Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN is Connected but unable to ping internal IPs from both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmeest

Technical User
Jul 7, 2010
OM
Hi,

Im trying to establish VPN connectivity between our head office and a branch office. my VPN is showing connected but i'm unable to ping any of the remote ip. Using remote desktop, i loged into remote server and tried to ping head office server, but the same thing.

I'm very new to use any hardware firewall.
any help will be appreciated.

Could use a little more information :).

What firewall version are you using at either end?

Have any access rules have been created allowing access for ping between the two sites within the firewall area?

What subnets are you using at either end, i.e. are they the same?

What are local and remote subnet's? If they overlap you will not be able to see the remote ip's that are in the same range as your local ip's. ie if your local subnet is 192.168.1.0 and remote is also 192.168.1.0 (which is pretty common).

There looks to be another device involved here. Whats the WAN interface going through?

Also can you confirm that the 192.168.10.0 object in your Access Rules is a network address object with the address detail as 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0. You can check this from 'Network' / 'Address Objects'.

Also check that you have no static routes for 192.168.10.0 sending it off somewhere else.

its a linksys WAG160N router...working as default gateway.

local side internal IPs 10.x.x.x ... this object is there on remote firewall object list

remote site internal IPs 192.168.10.x ... this object is there in local firewall object list

using no-ip as dynamic DNS...able to login to remote server using RD either with ip r domain name.

one more strange thing...if check remote location IP using whatismyip.com, its showing different ip, if i check with whatismyipaddress.com, its showing different ip, but actual IP is different than both of these.

Just a random thought. How often does your IP actually change? I'm thinking, try and use a fixed IP address in your VPN configs as a test if nothing else.

Does the log show anything useful?

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for your replies and guidance. my problem resolved. actually it was problem of gateway. it was configred with different IP than the firewall.

again thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back