Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN IP Address and Gateway Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyGuy

Technical User
Feb 26, 2008
US
Hello,

We recently have been trying to implement a vpn here at our office, so that a couple of our users can work while at home. So far, we are connecting to our vpn just fine from the outside. Once connected, however, we are unable to ping any machines or pass any traffic through our firewall, even though we are vpn'd into our outside interface.

Now, let's say our outside interface has an ip of 63.250.246.XXX

Our vpn connection gives us an address from our internal subnet, which is 10.0.x.x.

Now, when I do an ipconfig /all once connected to the vpn, it is showing that my IP is the correct internal IP address, but our gateway is also the exact same as our IP. Shouldn't the IP address be = to the IP of our firewall's inside interface? How can I use my own IP as a default gateway into our network? To me this makes no sense, but my boss (and he is much wiser than me, I must admit) is convinced that that is not the problem.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very grateful. Thanks.

EDIT: and furthermore, should we be getting an IP that is on our outside network as opposed to one that is inside? Forgive me on this, it has been a long time since I've messed with a vpn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back