Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN info

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsol

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
GB
Hi all
By reading several articles on WAN setups I've found out that VPN is the way to go, however I'm a little unsure on how to set it up and what software to use. I'm not a newbie to networking but I've not done VPNing before so any help would be appreciated.

I know that you can create a VPN connection in network connections on XP by entering the details to become a client but I don't know how to set up the connection/server on the other end, or what the best software would be.

All the machine have XP on them and the connection would be broadband with static IP's. Both sites would have routers, in fact USR9106 if they can be used, or do you have to use routers that specifically have VPN features installed????

I'm thinking that it is quite a simple task but if you don't know it then it might as well be chinese (if you cant speak chinese of course), but I'm thinking that because XP can create a VPN connection then all you need to do is use some software on one of the computers on the other network to create a VPN server and then somehow route the incoming VPN connection throught the router to the internal IP address of the computer running this software, maybe something like port forwarding or similar, BUT, I dont know what software to use, how to set it up correctly or what to do at the router/port forwarding point!

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back