Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN / IE5.X Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

throft

MIS
Jan 5, 2001
US
Has anyone here set up a VPN and tried to access it using IE5? Here where I am working we have a VPN set up that we access through an IBM Global Dialer (some kind of ISP), we then start up the VPN, which is a Nortel Networks Extranet Client program. IE is set to run through an automatic configuration file which locates the proxy server to run from. This all works fine under IE4 SP2, Netscape, Opera, etc. However, when I try to run it from IE5+, all it does is time out looking for the websites. Has anyone run into this problem before? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ben

Automatic proxy configuration did work with IE 4.x but would not work for us in IE 5.x. We had to use manual proxy config, in the ISP specific dial-up settings, and all problems went away.

ctbnetman

Throft
Did you try ctbnetman's suggestion. When using IE through a VPN (I use the Nortel Client as well) you have to configure the dialer settings:
In IE select Tools/Internet Options/Connections

Highlight the dialup connection you are using and click settings. Now you can experiment with proxies enabled or disabled. In my case I have to setup the proxies to match exactly those which I use in the office off the Corporate Lan.
cazulp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back