Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN - how to - what to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyo

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
IE
Hi. please can someone give me some advice?

I have a server running server 2000, exchange, isa server , sqlserver.
I have reps on the road who need to connect to the server so that they can run a VB application which uses an sql database on the server for its data. Thee reps will have laptops and can have some sort of phone card installed to connect to the internet.

From what I have read, a VPN would seem to be the most suitable solution for my needs.

Now the question!!

In a very practical sense what do I need to setup a VPN to achieve my goals.

Any praticals answers would be appreciated. If you need any further information please ask.

Thank you in advance

Paul

You have to set up an incomming connection on the server.
Firstly, enable routing and remote access under Services. In the Network and Dial-up Connections window, click "Make a new connection" Select "Accept Incoming connections" in the second screen. Select at least the serial port in th enext secreen. You can check the status of the setup under Contro Panel-> Administrative tools->Routing and Remote Access.

Win 2K workstaion set uo is similar.

Under Win 98 you have to Add aVPM adapter under the network applet. Thewn set up a connection using an qualified domain name of the ip address fo your server.

Hope this helps.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back