Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN.... How to make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobie

MIS
Jul 23, 1999
US
I have a NT4 SP4 Server, Running Eudora World Mail Server. The system has 2 NICs, a closed WAN, & a Network connection to a Direct IDSN to a local ISP. I have dial-in RAS working Great! I want to allow users to axcess the WAN from any ISP Local Dial-up. I have been trying to get a VPN connection established & cannot complete the connection. Any Pointers?

Scoobie:<br>
<br>
If you are still checking this thread, we have used this solution and it is working great. Check it out. Mail back to thread if you can to let me know.<br>
<br>
<br>

Thank You Tom, <br>
<br>
The software looks promising. I did the "test" & it looked viable. Now I need to get $ approved. If I could get the VPN working in Microsoft I don't think I would need to dip into my IS budget.<br>
<br>
<br>
Thank you for your responce.

VPN is a funny thing. I actually got into a discussion with a few people last night and here is what came out of it.<br>
You can search the web for information and find tons on it. You can follow all the directions.<br>
You can get everything setup to specifications.<br>
But attempt to connect, and nothing works.<br>
<br>
It's just one of those things. Has anyone in the history of setting up networks ever gotten a VPN running using Microsoft VPN?<br>
<br>
I've been doing this awhile and cannnot say I have.

Key question for jsauce: Do you have a connection point for your VPN? (i.e., ISP, remote DNS Server, etc.) I have not gotten a straight answer (nor could I come close with Microsoft) on this. They told me that we would have to go through an ISP to obtain routing and connectivity. Let me know what you think. <br>
<br>
We eventually, in the best interests of time/money, went with the solution above and it works fantastic.

Add. to last message: A connection point must be had for browser VPN access. Otherwise, you are basically using a direct WAN connection. Correct?

Sounds like it. Although I have actually been told that a Windows NT VPN has a better chance of working than a Windows 9.x...can't imagine why. Just thought I'd throw that out there and see what people think.

If I may jump in... I am researching a VPN between two NT networks via aDSL/MS Proxy Servers to replicate a SQL database. It sounds perilous- and I want to add aDSL into the mix. I tried establishing a VPN via dial-up into one of the aDSL/MS Proxy Servers. I recall making some sort of a connection...then nothing. I'm over in the xDSL section (check it out if you have the time) inquiring on possibilities of ANY info on this project. sounds like if I can get it to even work I will be a rich man! let me know if you'all have a lead. If I come up with anything I'll let you know. I'll check out the meanwhile's.<br>
<br>
blake

I'd say if you get it to work, leave it alone, and don't ever touch it. You don't know what could happen after that. I've found VPN to be a testy thing. <p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@net1plus.com>jsauce@net1plus.com</a><br><a href= Backup</a><br>

Scoobie, hollar at me and Ill tell you how we succeeded in maiking MS VPN work. I too was about to buy 3rd party software, but with elbow grease and long hours, we have it running smoothly. U can reach me at uojunkie@hotmail.com<br>
<br>
<br>
Doc

Geek:<br>
<br>
Share it with us all. Become a member and you might win the Harley jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back