Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN host in Windows 2000 Prof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm43

Programmer
Dec 1, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to set up, or install & configure a VPN host/server on a Windows 2000 Professional machine? I want to set it up on my home computer so that I can access the computer from work.

Thanks.

Would appreciate it.

Saad

Actually, looks to me like the first article is for a VPN client, and the second is for a VPN server on W2K Server. Professional is a little different.

W2K Pro can accept one incoming VPN connection. Don't have a link handy, but it's not really that bad.

Start --> Network Connections --> New connection.

Click Next on the welcome dialog box.

On the connection type box, mark Accept Incoming Connections and click next.

On the devices page, unmark all devices. Yep, that's right. None of them should be marked. Doesn't matter that your internet connection isn't there. Click next.

Should get the Incoming Virtual Private Connection box next, mark the Allow Virtual Private Connections box and click next.

Now you should have the Allowed Users dialog, mark all accounts that are to be allowed access and click next.

On the networking components page, select the protocols you need. Make sure that you at least have TCP/IP maked.

Highlight TCP/IP and click properties. The 'Allow callers to access my local network' will enable routing from the VPN to your local network, use the option that suits you best.

In TCP/IP address assignment, the DHCP option has some problems so you will have better luck marking the 'specify TCP/IP addresses box' and entering a range of addresses. If you want to route back to your local LAN, you should be RFC compliant (192.168.1.0 net address with a 255.255.255.0 mask on your network) and select addresses from the same network for the VPN. If DHCP is running on the network, make sure the addresses are excluded from the pool. You must have at least two addresses even though you only have one connection available as the server side takes one. Four or more is a good idea as the addresses are not released immediatly upon a disconnect. If something happens to break the connection, you may not be able to get back in right away.

The box for 'Allow calling computer to specify it's own address' will do exactly what it says, however the address does have to be an available address from the specified pool. If you have the DHCP box marked, the address must be available from the DHCP server. Either way, not a good idea if you can help it.

Should be ready to hit OK on the TCP/IP properties box.

Adjust any other components/protocols as needed and hit next on the networking components dialog.

The next box is a teaser, you can't really change the Incoming Connections name, so hit finish.

Guess what!?! Your finished, as indicated by the finish button. You can go to Networking connections and adjust the properties of your incoming connection as needed.

Sorry, no screen shots or anything of the sort with this one, but it should get you going.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back