Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN from Terminal Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTrak21

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2004
US
Hello, I'll try best to explain the senario here without confusing you as much as possible. I'm running a business where I am trying to connect remotely to terminal services using the Remote Desktop Connection. I VPN to a Cisco
PIX 501 and then use Remote Desktop to access the terminal server. I need to then VPN out while using terminal services and connect to another network. Reason being is I need to enter information stored on the server at the server I'm trying to VPN to while using terminal services. Problem I'm running into is that I connect, it prompts me for a username and password, I enter it in and then it just drops. I don't know what to do and the provider refuses to allow split tunneling (which I understand why now). Can someone please give me some help in solving this issue or another viable solution to the problem? Thank alot for your time and thoughts on this.

Without split tunneling, you won't be able to do it. Without split tunneling, the VPN client will always only allow network access to the network or host it's VPN'ed to...nothing else. That is why whenever you VPN out from the terminal server, your connection instantly drops as soon as you establish that connection. Split tunneling is the only way to solve it.

I've never understood people's fears of split-tunneling. If the rest of your network is sound, then you have nothing out of the ordinary to worry about...but that's just me...

Thank you for letting me know about this techno fact. I'll have to come up with a different solution to this problem. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. Hope to be of help if you have a question in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back