Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn from home dsl problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulagun

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
US
I have struggled for the past week and need some help.

I have a 501 and 515 both 6.2(2)

I have tried the cli and pdm but can't get the VPN to hook up
It does support vpn pass through, I can vpn into a 3005 from my windows machine just fine.

My 501 sits behind my dsl modem, 501 inside is 10.1.1.1 and outside is 192.168.80.2 (dhcp from my dsl modem) and my dsl modem has inside of 192.168.80.1 and the it's public ip from my isp.

I have configured my 515 to look for the public ip my dsl isp gave me but how does it see the 501? Do i need to enable port forwarding on my home dsl modem?

Also when I use the PDM and I get to the screen on the VPN wizard where I put in my hosts/networks at the remote site that are used in the ipsec traffic selector it keeps telling me that my ip network isn't on the outside interface.

Thanks for your help

Kulagun

Its hard to go off what you've posted. Please post your config.

HI.

> I have a 501 and 515 both 6.2(2)
> It does support vpn pass through, I can vpn into a 3005 from my windows machine just fine.

The 3005 supports more features then the pix, includig NAT traversal (Transparent Tunneling/ IPSec encapsulation), which the pix does not support in version 6.2.
This feature was added to pix version 6.3 but is still in early deployment status.

> Do i need to enable port forwarding on my home dsl modem?
Yes - If you can forward all UDP port 500 (isakmp) and IP protocol 50 (esp) to the pix 501, then it may solve the problem.

If not, try to upgrade the pix 515 to version 6.3 and enable NAT traveral.

Another option is to disconnect the DSL router and use the pix 501 as the DSL gateway with PPPoE at the pix, and a compatible simple ADSL modem. Ask your ISP about that option.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back