Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn for remote user with ip phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneguy610

Programmer
Apr 3, 2009
US
for startes i am a phone guy not an IT guy.

I do work at a company with both IT guys and phone guys. (weird mix i know even though with todays phone technology heading more and more to voip i do not understand how every company is not structured this way)

we set up a sonicwall vpn to a users home so they can use an IP phone. We tested the sonicwall at our office with very high speed internet access and the phone worked no problem.

Now at the users home the vpn tunnel only stays up for small periods of time

we have a meeting tomorrow to try and find the solution but was looking for more advice

we believe its either a bandwith issue (my belief) or possibly because we did not setup QOS (the sonicwall was not connected to anything but the phone so i do not see that being the issue)

please feel free to add feedback

thanks

i've done the same thing a few years ago, two netgear fvs318 with a vpn, ip phones worked great using dsl lines. i even forced myself to browse the internet, watch youtube etc and had no issue with the phone. once I switched it over to the customer's network with cable modems, all sorts of problems, jitter, poor quality etc. the cable modems were much faster than the dsl, mind you.

sonicwalls are pretty good units. how are you connecting, static IPs, dyndns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back