Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN for remote access via terminal services and voip

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniferadams

Technical User
Jul 22, 2008
US
There is so much information out there that I feel completely paralyzed. I wear myriad hats in my company, IT is the flavor of the day and I am far from expert.

I need to set up a VPN to overcome various remote access problems centered around our new IP PBX system.

The problem: We cannot get more than one IP phone to register at a time at the remote office due to some issue related to NAT. My PBX provider says I have to dump my Linksys BEFSR41 and get a "real" router and set up a VPN. Not especially helpful but they don't support network problems. (They also told me I would be able to plug in any remote phone anywhere and have it work perfectly without additional equipment or configuration...but that is another story.)

Ours is an SMB with one remote branch plus traveling and home-based workers. Our network includes:
Home office: Mixed wireless and ethernet LAN with IP phones, asterisk-based PBX server, database server and terminal server. We have Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec MI424-WR modem/router and a Trendnet 24-port switch.
Remote office: 2 PC LAN with 2 IP phones behind a Comcast DSL router/modem bridged with a Linksys BEFSR41 router.
Other: IP phones/softphones with various ISPs incl cable, dsl in homes, hotels, etc.

I want to make sure I purchase the right equipment for our network- one that will be able to handle VPN with both voip and terminal services running on it. Succesfully marrying our fios and dsl services...that likes my Aastra phones and is relatively easy to configure.

I realize this is a tall order so I would appreciate any suggestions for a reliable, flexible 8-12 port router (under $300?) that is not on the pbx provider's blacklist: Linksys RV042, WRT54G, BEFSR41; Netgear FVX538; SonicWall; Watchguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back