Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn Efficient router to Windows 2000 profesional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrd

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2003
US
I would like to connect from my home office network just a collection of windows 2000 profesional boxes. No server avail. I am running a efficent 5861 router. I have one router to router Vpn connection both routers being the same, it was easy to set up. Now I am wanting to hook up another office using one windows 2000 professional machine behind a cable modem. i would like a vpn connection between my router and the machine. I am having problems with what settings to use that will match up with what I can do in the win2000 machine. Has someone out there had experiance with this in the past? I get various errors, no certificate found to security layer encountered a prosessing error while making connections. What ah should i use, what encription. how to share a secret word to windows 2000? what settings would match the defaught setup in windows? l2tp or ipsec ect? So many variables.

David
Im just tired needed this running yesterday.

Got a reply from efficient, say that the connection couldnt be done with windows 2000 software, they pointed me at a VPN client software Remotesoft. anyone with experiance with that Vpn client or should I look at others?

Thanks for your time

I am trying to setup two Efficient 5861 routers also. What protocol did you use,Ipsec or L2tp? I am trying o use the SSH Sentinel VPN client. I have used it on a linksys router and trying with the SonicWall SOHO3 that I have. I have a network that I want to VPN into using a client and the two routers in different cities. I appreciate anything you can help on, Thanks.

I have two Efficient routers hooked together VPN using the easy Ike set up, Sha-1 and Des3 and Group 1 they stay hooked connection is slower than I would like but untill we jump to T1 it will do. Connecting linksys to efficent I found that on the advanced page on linksys to check keep alive and net bois broadcast. running sha1 and 3des and group one. Timing I played with so much not sure where it ended seams you want phase one shorter than phase 2.

I am now trying to hook up to either router from SSH sential SSH and linksys both show that the connection is made but I cant ping any of the computers. Not sure what i am missing there.

Not had any luck getting Phase two negotiations on the Efficient router from SSH sentinal

david

I finally got the Sentinel to work with the linksys. It now connects everytime. Phase 1 is 3des and sha in main mode and group2.phase2 is des and md5 with PFS on in group 2.I'm using 240 minutes and 0mb and 60 minutes and 400mb for my lifetimes.I also have discove path maximum transfer unit checked.I have it set to legacy mode in sentinel and the check box "attach only the selected values....".I am using preshared key.I am also using the subnet value for local secure group.I am able to login to my domain and get to all of my computers on the network.I am not using netbios broadcast though so I can browse but I can map my drives when needed.Hop this helps.
craig

David,
Well I am now working on the Efficient Router now. I am getting phase 1 to work and preshared key is found but phase 2 doesn't respond. Making progress.I have phase 1 set for 3des and sha and group 2.Right now I have phase 2 set for des and sha and no PFS. Will change today to see if I can get it to work.Any chance you have the Efficient working from Sentinel?
Thanks,
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back