Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN/DNS Problems!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargas71

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2003
CA
Hi,

I have a PIX 506E firewall with VPN configuration on it...

The VPN connection works...but it seems that my VPN connection doesn't see the DNS server...because I can only see the servers by their ip address and not by their name???

I'll already try to open on the outside port 53, I've try split-dns and alias and nothing works...

what could be the problem???

Can someone help me overcome that problem???

Thanks in advance!!!

Vargas,

Simple question. When you use the client and connect over the VPN, where is the DNS? Inside or outside the Firewall? Where does the client think the DNS is? Remember traffic woun't go back out of the Firewall without hitting a router first.

Liberty for All,

Brian

Brian,

the DNS server is in the inside network on a Windows 2000 server.

When I use the nslookup command to see where the client think the DNS is...it give me a ip address that make no sense...like 65.10.xxx.xxx...etc. And isn't suppose to be that...

But I've a question too...when you configure the command vpngroup test dns-server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

do you have to enter the internal address of it or the translated address given by the pix???

Thanks for your help!!!

Enter the internal address for your DNS server for vpngroup test dns-server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back