Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connects but cannot access remote network computers or folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenFromSouth

Programmer
Jul 31, 2021
TT
I am connecting to a remote network via VPN. I can make the connection but cannot access the remote's local network even though I have allowed access on the Server's Incoming setting. The login account has read/write permissions to the local shares. Both Remote and Client have different local IPs

Client - from 200.200.200.1

Server - from 192.168.1.1

The VPN assigns the IPs between 2.2.2.1 to 2.2.2.10

On Connection the Server gets the IP 2.2.2.2 while the Client has the IP 2.2.2.8

Typing in \\2.2.2.2\My Documents into the Explorer Window gets "Windows Cannot access \\2.2.2.2\My Documents"

SMB is enabled on both machines.

I can Remote Desktop between the both machines.

1723 is forwarded.

I am unable to access the folders/files either on the lan or wan through VPN but I can access the folders via the local neighborhood network

Refer to this video for the solution

Things to do:

[ol ]
[li]Make sure that the VPN Server's IP assignment is within the DHCP Pool. I was using from 2.2.2.1 when I should have used from 192.168.1.1 (eg 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.59)[/li]
[li]Allow UDP 1723 in the Inbound rules of Windows Firewall[/li]
[li]Also in the Inbound Rules, the Public Profile for "File and Printer Sharing (SMB-In), in the Scope Tab add "Internet" to the Remote IP Addresses.[/li]
[/ol]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back