Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubnev

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
A friend of mine has set up a server using Windows 2000 Advanced. The server shares an internet connection using a Linksys router. I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. The VPN on my computer was set up using the XP wizard. The router has the following ports open: 47, 50, 500 and 1723.

My computer has ports 47 and 50 enabled.

All of the pass throughs on the router were enabled. I have a static IP and the router is configured to let my IP address through.

When I attempt to connecto the the VPN, at the "verifying user name and password" section, I get an error message that the other computer is not responding.

I connect to the internet via a cable modem. The server connects through DSL. I have already called my cable company and they said they only block 3 ports, none of which I am trying to connect through.

I also have Zone Alarm Pro and have allowed the other computer as a trusted source. However, I have no more luck networking when I turn off Zone Alarm Pro.

We haven't a clue what is wrong and we're both new at this. I have been through all of the networking troubleshooters, etc. We're lost.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Clubnev/Maria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back