Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

exactiv

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2003
IE
Hi there.

I have two D-Link DFL700 VPN firewalls, one in our HQ, one in a branch office.

They both have a VPN connection configured, and they connect successfully.

The problem is, if I try to copy a file from a machine at the branch office, to the file server in the HQ the connection is very poor. Doing a simple ping test shows significant packet loss from the branch to the HQ.
BUT... If I do the same test from the HQ to the branch the connection is perfect, no packet loss. If I copy a file from the HQ to a machine in the branch office it works perfectly.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

What is the upload speed at the branch office? And how many concurrent users? If you try this test at off hours from the branch office (when there are no users around) do you get better speeds?

Barring an ISP problem or diffeences between upstream and downstream speeds there are two things I would look at. First I would check the port speed and duplex settings of your uplink. If that's not it, I would also look into the MTU settings on the VPN routers. I have had issues where a router in the middle did not allow the fragmentation of packets. Try setting the MTU on the external interfaces to 1476. That setting will reserve enough room for the IPSec header to be added without forcing the packet to be fragmented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back