Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connection not working...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydoo26

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
US
I'm setting up my first VPN connection and looks like i'm missing something. I've setup RAS and PPTP on the NT 4.0 Server. On the client (win98) i've configured the VPN adapter with the Public static IP of the network. I'm getting two error messages: error 629 (have been disconnected by the computer) and 751 (can't remember what is said). I've configured the router to allow IP Port Forwarding as that is the only way i'll be able to get in....does not have built-in VPN capabilities. Anything i'm missing or further information you guys need????? thanks!!

i can make the connection internally with the IP of the VPN server. Also...it's an SDSL connection at the office, esoft router (cpl years old).

ok...i have the VPN up and running but not able to view my resources. I'm trying the following at the run commmand:

\\IP Address of server
\\server name

Nothing....any ideas?

thanks.

So you can now establish a VPN connection?
Can you can ping ANY of the computers in your network? If you can, then make sure that you have the WINS servers specified in the TCP/IP properties on your remote computer. This should enable you to browse the network.

If you can't ping anything then you know that the VPN is not encrypting packets properly.

What brand of router are you using? Is it performing NAT?
Which ports have you set up port forwarding for?
You should need to forward TCP 1723 (PPTP) and IP 47 (GRE).

Try searching through the Microsoft Knowledge Base if none of this helps you.

Niall Niall

use you ip addresses instead of pc name and you are in there. like \\192.168.0.1\c instead of \\server\c

Well, that just sounds like you don't have any name resolution working. Do you have a WINS server on your network? If so, do you have the WINS server specified in your TCP/IP properties on the remote computer?
Niall

Thanks for the feedback...happy to say my VPN is up and running. Main problem was WINS not working properly. I'm still learning about VPN and security and am wondering if the following suffices:

I'm using PPTP with MS-CHAP, encrytpion of data, only certain users having permission to dial in with user name and password, no one else allowed.

Thanks

actually you will have to install all hotfixes for PPTP because the NT4 implementation of PPTP was NOT safe
In addition to this, install some sort of firewall software and only allow the PPTP ports ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

The errors were resolved as soon as i configured the IP forwarding properly on the router/firewall.

Will all hotfixes for NT4 be part of the SPs? I do have only the PPTP ports open.

Thanks

I'm not sure, you might want to check out the Microsoft website for any post SP6a hotfixes
Anyway, in the first PPTP implementation on NT4, some data could actually been read as clear text... and that's not what we want, is it ? ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back