Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connection failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caheem1

MIS
Sep 15, 2004
BB
I have a client who contracted me to setup a VPN tunnel between to sites. The ISP installed a 128KB frame relay link to the internet at the main office and a DSL connection at the branch office. They setup a VPN tunnel between the branch office and the router, and another between the router and a Cisco Pix at the main office. The reason for this type of setup was for licensing issues with the model of PIX. With the router we could have unlimited VPN connections into the main office. However, only two clients at the branch office were able to connect to the main office. I was asked to trouble shoot the problem. The ISP stated that there was a miss configuration problem on the PC’s that could not connect to the main office. I asked to see the configuration on the Cisco 800 series ADSL router at the branch office, the Cisco router and Cisco pix at the main office. I was told that company policy stated that I could not have access for security reasons. After three weeks of fighting with the ISP I ask the client to remove all instances of the VPN tunnels for all devices. I replace the Cisco 800 series ADSL router with a Zyxel ADSL modem which supports VPN’s and setup the tunnel from the modem to the PIX. The tunnel was formed and all computers can access recourses at the main office. My problem is now the client wants me to give a reason why the ISP setup did not work. To me without seeing the config on the routers I can not think of an answer that I can feel confident voicing. Do any of you guys have any idea why the ISP setup did not work? I know with out the actual config no one can tell but I would love to here some ideas.

Each one teach one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back