Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connection estalished in RAS win 2K but can not ping client

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2002
GB
I have a VPN connection has been setup on a RRAS from one server to another, when the client connect I can ping it for a about 10 seconds from the VPN server and then it times out.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

can you ping it by ip? quoted from
Can't ping VPN client by name

Symptom: you can ping the vpn client by ip but when attempting to ping a vpn client from remote LAN, you get time out.

Resolution: 1) if you have correct DNS and WINS settings, you should be able to ping vpn client by name.
2) If you get the time out with a different ip (for example, ping ip is 192.168.100.7 and real ip is 192.168.100.13), check the dns and wins records and delete the 192.168.100.7.
3) If the dns and wins records don't show the client record, make sure it points to the same and correct dns and wins.
4) If the VPN client doesn't register its DNS, you may need to go the VPN connection properties>networking>TCP/IP. On the DNS tab, enter the DNS server IP in DNS suffix for this connection and check Register this connection's addresses in DNS. Or use ipconfig /registerdns command.
5) Also make sure all computers are pointing to the same DNS.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

I have tried all the above with no success. Do u have any other ideas??

Thanks in advance

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back