Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connected, but how do I view the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexus37

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2006
US
I know this sounds dum, but I setup a vpn from my house to work. It connects fine and everything, but I don't know how to view the shared folders, drives, and printers. I have a windows 2003 server set to receive incoming connections and a xp client to connect to the vpn. It shows a connection and does not drop or anything, but where can I view the network? Could someone direct me in the right way? Am I needing to install some software?

..ok so you have connected to the windows 2003 server (vpn server) from home..
...you want to be able to see shared resources...
...can you ping those resources (the host with the shared folder)

..just keeping this simple not including dns/wins resolution..
..if i connect from home to office, i am issued a preconfigured local lan ip address by that 2003 server..
...i should be able to ping the server that has my shared resources are on..
...and more especilly type in my browser
\\server_ip_address\shared_folder ...and my shared goodies will appear...

...also you should be able to search for computers via start, search, files and folders, advanced search and type in computers ip address...

...1st check your lan connectivity by pinging those computers..
...alot of times this vpn stuff doesnt work because of routing issues..and you have to put in static routes in the routing and remote access mmc plugin thingy..
...does this make since...
...just trying to throw ideas out there...

CCNP,CCSP,MCSE,Sec+,Net+,A+...

Thanks! I can ping the address of the server just fine and I put the address of the server in the browser and view the shared files. So I guess I can just add these to my network places and then map them or is there a easier way? Also would I be able to send a print job to a printer attached to this server? The only reason I am trying to do this is because we are opening a office in another state and we would like not to give the new employee the ability to print checks. Would this be possible?

..wait, are you trying to give new employees ability to print check...or not ...
...no problem either way..
..***big question here...are ya'll using active directory?
....this will solve all your problems..and give you a hell of lot more.

It will be one employee who is running the office, but we do not want her to be able to print the checks. We want her to call us and we can send the print job to her printer and all she has to do is put the blank check in the printer. Truthfully i'm not sure if we are using active directory. I am 75% thinking we are running active directory. How can you tell?

how?...you will be logging into a domain..

..like on your computer...when you log in...is there a domain below your user name and password...

...you should know if you are running a.d if you dealing with the IT stuff...pretty significant..

..you could block here a couple of ways..probably not allowing her access under the properties of the printer, security and setting up who is authorized to access that resource..
...or access-lists on network device to block ip...
..for example..access-list 101 deny ip host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2

..get on that active directory..

Yea then we are using active directory. I'm not really sure how to do that. Am i suppose to do that on my netgear router or the server? The problem is we are renting a office space out which they have there own network and she will be connected wireless and she will have a printer. She will be able to access our network vpn, but can we send print jobs to her printer?

..i'm sorry...i was thinking you where a large business..1000+ users...no problem..
...so you are a smaller business with what?..bout 20 clients..

..you have a lot to read up on the active directory..no magic pill here...
...but basically when your clients log in from there work stations...they will basically be authorized..authenticated..blaa blaa bla..and recieve group policies via the domain controller..(the windows server)..
..this group policy handed down is how you can control your your users and what they can do..what they access etc; etc;
...but doesnt sound like you are using active directory..
...you can block her or allow here access various ways..your confusing me again...are you allowing her to print..or not..

..below it seems a lil contradictory (sp)?

She will be able to access our network vpn, but can we send print jobs to her printer?

It will be one employee who is running the office, but we do not want her to be able to print

..either way dahl (kinda like dog), it'll be all good..

Yea we are a small company about 20, but growing. I'm planning on learning active directory though. Sorry to confuse you, but let me see if I can clarify everything.

My boss has a friend who owns a Title company and is going to let us rent a office in his company. We are going to buy a pc and printer for her office. The network she will be on is the Title company's, but I want to give her access to view the files on our server which is why I am trying to get this vpn setup. We are using quickbooks as our accounting software and to print checks. The printer will be directly connected to her pc. Initially we want to print from our office to her printer. I figured this would be simple since I got my network connected to the office network. Can this work?

..ok...got ya..
...yes, you will be able to print from your p.c. to the printer hooked off her computer..
...just hook up the printer and share it on her pc..
...then add that printer on your pc via network \\girls_computer_IP\share_name
..then it will prompt you for drivers..and blah blah..bla!

..yes..and jump on that active directory...make your life a whole lot simpler when you got it figured out..
...Domain Admin = God

Ok one more question. When she connects to our network, doesn't the vpn server assign her a lan ip address? So if I share that printer via network, won't it change the next time she connects? Also i'm trying to add the printer on the server to test if I can print from my home right now, but when I browse it does not show the office network only my home network. How would I add it?

..i'm sure there is some type of static assignment that will add the same ip address per mac..or..when a particular user logs in..they get the same ip address via log on policy..

..i'm confused...
..are you trying to print on the server at the office..
..or do you have a printer at home that you are trying to print from the office...

Ok I'm going to check the settings. I'm at home right now and I'm trying to print to the printer at work that is attached to the server, but I got it to work. Could you tell me how secure this vpn is? Thanks so much for your help!

I'm not sure what I put it as, but I will check tomorrow when I get in. Thank you so much for all your help! You are da bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back