Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckarel1

Technical User
Jun 17, 2002
GB
Hi,

I currently have a small network with 2 windows 2000 servers. Between them and the internet is a 3com firewall.

One of the servers I have configured for VPN access. It has one nic card.

The firewall uses NAT to translate the public IP of the VPN server into an internal IP address of 192.168.1.x

I have opened up a PPTP port on the firewall.

IP addresses on the LAN are issued on a DHCP basis from that same VPN server.
I have set up RRAS service with a static IP address range of 192.168.1.110 - 192.168.1.120

Here in lies the rub...
I am using a software called SoftRemote LT as a client VPN software/key encryption method. The firewall supports this software. I am able to dial-up, log in and be authenticated by the VPN server. I can see the connection when I go to the RRAS on the VPN.

However I can't ping any internal addresses nor (obviously) browse the network by name.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do?

I've used SoftRemotes predecessor SoftPK. Here are a couple of items you can check for troubleshooting.

Verify that the client is receiving an IP address from the assigned pool. Check the Security policy on SoftRemote ensuring that the subnet you are trying to reach is configured corectly (192.168.1.0 ?). Use the SoftRemote connection monitor to see what the application is transmitting across the tunnel. Also check the routing table on the server to see where it is sending packets destined for the static pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back