Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN clients not updating WINS database

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogi05

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2006
US
With a Windows 2003 AD environment, I have XP clients VPN'ing into our VPN server, but the WINS database is not updating their IP information.

For example, on my test computer I VPN'd in and recieved an IP of XXX.XXX.XX.76. I looked in the WINS database and found that entry. However, the next time I VPN I got a different IP address of XXX.XXX.XX.53, which doesn't show up in WINS, and the old .76 is still there.

Is there any way of getting the newer update to delete the old one? or am I stuck with waiting until the expiration on the refresh interval of WINS knocks the entry out?

Thanks,

Chris

OK found the problem. It was one of two things that I changed. First, I found out that the VPN client inherited WINS server settings from it's VPN server, so I made sure that the VPN server had itself as a WINS server (it is our WINS server).

Second I also enabled Netbios over TCP/IP on the VPN connection settings.

That seemed to do the trick, so now when I VPN in each time the WINS database will be updated with my new IP address.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back