Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN client connectivity to VPN server behind Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klegy

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
GB
We are having difficulty with VPN clients accessing a VPN server running on an internal LAN address behind a D-Link DSL-504 ADSL router. The VPN server runs on an NTServer machine with a fixed private IP address. The client machine
I am testing on runs Win98se. We have a fixed public WAN address 'attached' externally to the router. This address is used as the 'dial-in' number for the VPN client.
The Win98se machine can connect (and browse the LAN) if the VPN server's address is placed in the router's DMZ zone.
D-Link have since sent us their latest (beta version) firmware upgrade which they say should allow VPN client pass-through. I have had no luck configuring this firmware to allow VPN client connectivity and had no response from D-Link as yet.
As far as I'm aware, throughput of the PPTP and GRE protocols + TCP port 1723 should be
opened, and this should be sufficient to allow access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back