Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN causing Outlook to not be able to send email

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjonmartin

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
I have a VPN set up which allows me to access files on my office server. However I have Outlook set up to recieve pop3 emails and when I am connected to my vpn I cant send emails. I get a message bouncing back with the error code 550 relay not permitted. The reason for this is the smtp server my ISP provides requires me to be connected with one of thier IP addresses, but when I am connected to my vpn it seems I am connected with the IP address from my office which is causing me to be unable to use the smtp server to send emails.

I can disconnect the vpn and the emails will be sent, but I was wondering if there is any way around this without having to constantly disconnect my vpn when I need to send an email.

Im using Vista and Outlook 2003.

Thanks for any help in advance

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

What kind of VPN? Windows? Do you have split tunneling enabled?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back