Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN causes Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

stroppymoppy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
GB
This is a stange one - I am using Win XP Pro (SP1) and am
connected through a network card to my broadband (NTL World) (with a virtually static private IP) - so always on INternet. My Firewall is BliackICE 3.6cbr and I have opened up ports 500 and 1723 for both incoming & outgoing for TCP & UDP.
So Far So Good.

However whenever I try to setup & use a VPN connection to
the office my Machine Reboots!!! - The setup goes fine
the loggon screen comes up up - i enter my loggon
details - it goes through authentication and then when I
should be connected - Bang its rebooted - No shut down no
nothing - just the Post screen. This has been driving me
nuts for about a week and I can't find any info on it.

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP MEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee............!!!

Thanks

Pete.

Thought about this one a while. Have never seen it happen, but I'll offer some guesses.

First, it should not be possible for any kind of software to kill your system in that manner. Shut down, yes. BSOD, yes (sometimes daily). But not a system reset. I would start with changing out the network card. Yep, sounds extreme, but I would say there is a 60% chance it is involved. I would try a different brand, just to eliminate a buggy driver in the same throw.

If that doesn't fly, disable all software that doesn't absolutly have to be there, including the firewall and try again. If it works, start things back up one at a time. If there is a conflict, that's the best way to find it.

You've got a bear here. Good luck!

Have you tried disabling Black Ice and starting your PPTP connection? Also pptp uses TCP port 1723 and IP protocol 47 (GRE), I'm not sure how Black Ice handles this kind of traffic - or whether it works on an application level rather than port level.

Anyway, disable your firewall and then trey connecting. Also, make sure you haven't got XP's own firewall active on the underlying network connection or VPN connection as well - that'd cause problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back