Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN behind a NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiketti

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2004
GB
This is the first VPN I've set up (or not as is the case). Any help would be appretiated...

Heres our setup,
We've a 3Com Officeconnect 25 (Firewall & VPN) situated behind a Zyxel Prestige 650R-31 (ADSL Router & NAT).

The VPN Client is XP and the 3com client software is installed, it can see the router but other than that it doesnt create a connection to the VPN.

Firstly am I correct in thinking that the 3com VPN can work behind a NAT?
Secondly our internal network addressing starts with a 194 which seems okay when were NAT'ing but could it cause us problems with the VPN?

Thanks.

You want to make sure that you have the proper ports open on the router. For most VPNs you'll want 1723, 500, and 47 open.

We have a Linksys BEFXS-41 (a 2-tunnel baby VPN router) working successfully behind a Zyxel 645.

Hi Spiketti,

Just a thought, depending on how you are using the VPN services you may want to check and make sure that IPSec passthrough is enabled on the units.

If I'm out of line just give me a slap [hammer]

I ping 127.0.0.1 & get a response, I must be connected.
"I think I'm going bald" from this stuff.

This is just a thought, and I may be way off, but is it possible to make your ASDL router/nat device act as a bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back