Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronos1

MIS
Jan 9, 2003
AU
Hi there - i am absolutely new to VPN - theory is ok - linking pc's over the internet to a network to create a virtual private network. What i don't know is what hardware and/or software i need and how to set it all up.

Could someone please give me a general overview to get me started. The internet has a lot on this, but nothing specific.

Thanks a lot

Say ello to ma liddle fren!

chronos1
Earlier for security companies used to have lease lines evn now. What VPN does is that it uses internet and on the internet it sends data in an encrypted form so that no one can hack it or even it is hacked then nobody can actually do anything about it.

Now if you have a PC on that you need to install a VPN Client okay and the hardware on the otherside could be
1. PIX
2. Router
3. Concentrator
4. Linksys device firewall or a router
5. Checkpoint

and many more....

many thanks saurav2281

could you give me an example of a vpn client software, and router - just need it for pricing and testing purposes.

Thanks again.

for a very very small office

Cisco 501 = under 500$
1720 Router = under 800$
CCO Account (to get software) = under 100$

Medium office

Cisco 506e = $1000
1720 Router = 800$
CCO access(to get software) = 250$

If you only have 1 public IP, you may not need the router. You can just use the Cisco Pix device on its own.

I just set up something very similar for the first time.

I used 2 netgear FVS318's to connect 2 lans with about 10 users on each side. It worked a treat. The manual has step by step instructions on how to do it and you can buy client software from safenet-inc.com to connect roaming users.

One word of advice, It is easier to test it on live internet connections and not simulating it over a hub!

Hope this helps.

Paul

thanks guys, much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back