Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixman

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2006
US
I am a pretty good USER, but new to VPN.

I have set up a VPN conenction through Windows XP from my home LAN to my work LAN (I own both routers).

Now that I have a connection I *think* that I need a VPN software. Is this the case? Does anyone here have a suggestion for such a software?

I thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
Ixman

Windows XP has it's own vpn software client 'built in', so it sounds like you should be all set.

Hi There,

It actually depends on what kind of VPN you're using, if your VPN connection is router based Windows XP will need no configuration, other than your default gateway being your home router.

What routers are they?

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Firth
Network Infrastructure Officer

~If it's not broke, break it and LEARN~

Thanks, guys! I got the VPN to work, using port forwarding and a fixed IP address on the server computer (at work). I use Windows XP Remote Desktop to actually work from home on the work computer.

Now this brings up another question: can I use the VPN in the *opposite* direction? In other words, I'll just leave the VPN up and running, and log in from work to home (when at work) and from home to work (when at home). So far I get "can't find computer" when I try from work. But, I'll keep playing around.

ixman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back